Saturday, February 19, 2011

Digital Media Just Amplifies Stupid

Now, I know what you're thinking, dear readers. You're thinking Freakin' A, she is going to go off on some rant about texting/twitter/facebook/email/myspace/whatthefreakever with an on/off switch, just like 80 bajillion other people have already. And readers, you would be correct.

Don't get me wrong. I see the advantages to all of this digital media. I see the upsides to always being able to reach the people we feel like we need to reach. I like the fact that that one time I got a flat tire driving home from school at 10 at night, I was able to call people to come rescue my butt, because I have no freakin clue how to change a tire (nor, as it turned out, the equipment to do so with me in the car). And I'm just as much of a facebook whore as the next person (well, maybe not. I'm fully clothed in all of my pictures). And I don't know how to live without my smartphone anymore. However, (and that is a big, fat, ginormous however) I think that like 85% of the time, they're more trouble than they're worth. Why, you ask? Because they make it all too easy to amplify our stupid. I had a fb friend yesterday post a status (at 1 in the morning) saying "talk me out of sending this text." Judging by the status update s/he had posted earlier, I was 95% sure who s/he was planning to text and 95% sure what the gist of it was and I was 100% sure the recipient would not be thrilled to get it. Thankfully s/he didn't send it, but I was just like, This is exactly why our generation sucks. Because we have a practically unlimited ability to broadcast our stupidity. It doesn't matter that it's 1 AM, I can text this person because I can see by their facebook that they're still up, even though this text message is in NO ONE'S best interest. 

Anyway, long rant short, put the phones down. Step away from the computer. If it's past midnight, don't say it. Just wait until morning. Much better decisions are made in the light of day.

And yeah, that MIGHT sound like something my parents have told me. Maybe they're not completely wrong all of the time. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment