Thursday, September 29, 2011

Things I have learned in my first month of grad school

-Self-handicapping is real, and its name is stumbleupon
-I was wrong. I am not good at statistics.
    -Getting an answer right in statistics now feels like what I imagine a baby taking his/her first steps feels like. Awesome, completely foreign, and a little unexpected.
-I don't want to be a cognitive psychologist (ok, I knew this already, but it's been confirmed)
-Sri Lankan food is good.
-There is always something you can be doing, but you have to let go of the guilt.
-Putting something in a frame does not make it "art."
-It is important to try to see the sun, at least a little every day.
-There is never enough time in the day to do everything you want to do.
-Disney movies are good for the soul (again, I already knew, but it's important to confirm these things).
-Physical contact (hugs, hand pats, high-fives, even just knees that touch on a crowded couch) are necessary to normal functioning (again with the confirmations) (Don't believe me? Google "nonorganic failure to thrive.").
-Handwritten letters are better than anything in the world.
-Time differences are stupid and annoying.
-Baking makes me feel better after a hard day.
-Cute shoes improve your whole day (confirmed).
-Throwing your head back in a belly-shaking snort-laugh at least once a day gives you as much recovery as a 1-hour nap (confirmed).
-Archer blows.
-It's important to make the effort to keep in touch with people back home. Even as you grow and change and learn new things, you need to hold on to the people who knew you when you were small and the same and stupid. They'll keep you grounded and true to yourself.
-Saying you're not going to do something means you probably will. Just thinking about an event makes it more likely to happen (and I'm too lazy to find the citation for this one, so just trust me).
-My brain is more awesome than I am. 

Most of these things aren't actually related to graduate school. I've learned some (I think) things about psychology, but this blog is mostly about my life, and I'm trying to not allow psychology to become my life.

On that note, if you want to feel happy (even if you are introverted), act extroverted. It will improve your mood. Science ftw. Don't believe me? Go read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment