Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bestie Birthday

Bestie's birthday was last week, and because we both made terrible life choices (her following He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and me going to grad school), we've ended up on opposite coasts, so I didn't get to see her on her birthday. It was terribly sad. I did get to see my parents on her birthday, though, which was terribly happy.

Anyway, enough digressing. Here are 23 reasons why I love Bestie:
1) She always, always, always sticks up for the little guy.
2) She wants to save the world, and unlike a lot of people in our generation, I think she might actually do it. Or at least get the ball rolling on it.
3) Even though we fight about whether or not continuing to include people who have wronged you in your life is a necessary part of forgiving them (I don't think it is), she will always, always, always give you another chance.
4) (Man Voice) "I'm not wearing a skirt"
5) She always takes care of me when I'm drinking.
6) The rockin' birthday party she planned for me
7) She is way better at sending mail than I am (like, way better). And also, being crafty and making awesome pick-me-up/encouragement cards that magically appear in my mailbox when I've been having a really crappy week.
8) She's one of the hardest-working people I know.
9) She has great taste in books and is always willing to lend me some.
10) She is infinitely creative and is always looking for ways to make things more efficient or more beautiful or more... whatever. And she's pretty good at it.
11) She will let me snuggle her when we have sleepovers, even though she hates it.
12) She gives me food anxiety.
13) She's super brave. She signs up to do things like the AmeriCORPS VISTA program and going off to teach English to kids in Korea. I'm proud of her, even if it means that she's going to the other side of the world.
14) She pushes me to keep going. When we were in high school, we studied REALLY hard for the AP US History Exam, but when it came time to take the test, I got halfway through my 2nd or 3rd DBQ and just really wanted to quit. I sat there, staring at the wall, unable to will my hand to pick my pencil back up and continue working. She turned to me, asked me what the hell I thought I was doing, told me to get back to work, and I did. I passed the test, and even now, when I find myself wanting to quit, I hear her voice inside my head, asking me what the hell I think I'm doing, quitting.
15) Maybe I got haggis!
16) She is always up for an adventure, and pretty much anything, from a short hike to a quick jaunt over to Castle Megastore to pick up a bachelorette party present qualifies as an adventure when Bestie is around.
17) She encourages me to do fun and silly things, like auditioning for ANTM that one time. We decided that they wanted that season to be about ugly girls, because fo' reals, ya'll, not being conceited, we were way better looking than EVERYONE on that season.
18) I'll take two swirl ice cream cones, and do you have anything free?
19) She always does what needs to be done, even if there is no glory or thanks in the task, and she doesn't complain.
20) She's generous--always willing to share.
21) She's so passionate--she cares so much about so many things, and doesn't let slow progress discourage her.
22) Even though we don't talk or see each other as much as I would like, when we do, it's like no time has passed at all. She's always willing to listen to my rantings and will always try to make me feel better.
23) She's always trying to make herself better, by learning a new language, or taking some class online or trying new recipes--she is never satisfied with "good enough"--she strives for greatness.

I love you, Bestie! Happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment