Monday, February 25, 2013

Moving Forward

So I have 74 days until I need to turn in the final, edited, defended version of my thesis in order to graduate on time.

I think this is possible. IRB approval might prove to be a bit of a challenge, but data collection should go rather quickly, and there is no reason why I can't graduate on time.

I haven't gotten any acceptances from graduate schools yet, and I'm not really anticipating any. I think the "Dear God, please don't pick me, I don't actually want this" came through at my interviews and I wouldn't take someone with that attitude either.

I've decided that what I want over the next few years is simple.
-I want to be doing something that I like enough to not be counting down the days until it's over (that was poor writing, but I think you follow me).
-I want to be making enough money that I can pay off my loans from this program in <5 years, save up for down payment on a house in 1-2 years (unless we end up in CA, in which case, eff that), that even on top of those things, I can go out or buy things when I want to without worrying about it.
-I want a job that I can leave in the evening and not worry about until I go in again in the morning.
-I want a house that I can make my own that feels like it's my home. I don't like this temporary feeling that I have here--it feels like an extended hotel stay.
-I want to throw a lot of money into an IRA.
-I want to do interesting things again. I've gotten really boring while I've been here.
-I want to audition to do a few commercials. I think it would be fun and a good way to get my acting fix and make some extra money.
-I want to be better about cooking regularly.
-I want to position myself such that if I decide to go back and get my PhD, it won't be impossible.
-I want to learn something new--a new language, or an instrument, or Japanese flower arranging, or how to properly use Photoshop--basically something that isn't related to psychology.
-I want to be in a place and surrounded by people who bring out the best in me, instead of the worst.
-I want to find some sort of exercise that I enjoy doing (swimming? affordable yoga? hiking?)

Anyway, I know that we shouldn't spend a lot of time "waiting for life to start", but that's really what I feel like I'm doing right now. I'd like to get out of my lease and just move to where I'll be sometime in June or July, but I might not even go until August, which means that for the next 2-4 months, that's precisely what I'll be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment