Monday, February 14, 2011

It's just a Monday

"Valentine's Day is a conspiracy made up by the card companies and the flower companies and the chocolate companies... Wait, not the chocolate companies. They're doing God's work."--Will and Grace

I've never really "gotten" Valentine's Day. And I say that as a die-hard romantic. I love sappy movies. I read bad chick lit about people who suck at relationships finally figuring it out and falling in love in some corny, wouldn't happen in a million years in real life, kinda way. And I've had a Valentine before, and he did sweet things for me both years that we were together. I bragged about how cute they were to my friends, and I was very grateful. And I know that he did them because he really did love me, but at the same time, he did them because it was Valentine's day. No other time did he put a rose and a balloon on my car and "kiss" the ground I walk on (there was a trail of Hershey's kisses from my door to my car. Very thoughtful), no other time did he send me flowers and truffles to work. And they were lovely, really. But at least partially, they were tainted with obligation. And I've never liked relationships that come with obligation. I've never liked someone telling me how or when I have to show someone I love them. For me, love is making soup when you're sick. Love is coming to your sporting event/play/concert/gallery opening/poetry reading/work function/graduation/whatever. Love is a little note left on your windshield or bathroom mirror. Love is a hug for no reason. Love is driving for 2 hours when your best friend breaks up with her boyfriend or has a scary dr's appointment. Love is dancing in the driveway. I just don't get spending 4x the value on flowers that will die, eating a prie fixe menu in an over crowded restaurant and then putting on slutty lingerie with little hearts on it just because it's some "special" day in February.

Perhaps I am being overly-critical. I mean, it is important to remember to appreciate the people that we love (all the people we love, not just our romantic partners), and sometimes, amid the bills and the rush hour traffic and the laundry and the drive-thrus we forget to appreciate them. Maybe we need to schedule a date to say, "Yes, I do still love you, and yes, you still are the most important person to me, and yes, I can't imagine what life would be like without you, so please don't leave me because I am an unappreciative idiot who takes you for granted."

That being said, I'd rather get flowers and chocolates any other day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment